Saturday, October 5, 2013

#31 Days - Herbs & Spices

Secret Obsession   

I have scoured the Internet (well, not the whole thing but quite a lot of sites to find out basic herbs and spices used in cooking.  The following herbs and spices are included on the pantry page at Basic-Cooking.com:  

Basil, Bay leaves, Coriander, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme;
Cinnamon, Cloves, Cumin, Curry Powder, Turmeric

Curry powder apparently is a blend of various spices (which I never knew - and do I feel silly?  Eh.  I told you I was a beginner in the kitchen.) and there are about as many recipe combinations on the internet as there are bloggers!

Many herbs and spices can be grown indoors, and it is even a preferred location for some varieties.  One thing I'd like to do is get a garden window in the kitchen to accommodate some plants.

Those will probably do for the first year.  After that I hope to expand into herbs for some DIY home/hygiene products.  I'll have to check out slippery elm, because that makes a tea like no other when you have a sore throat.

*+*+*+*+*

The October Daily prompt for October 5th is:

Complete the sentence:  "If I had a __________, I would __________."  You can make as many sentences as you'd like.

The first word that popped into my head was "hammer".  Does that date me?  Remember the song, 

"If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning.  
I'd hammer in the evening, all over this land.  
I'd hammer out warning, I'd hammer out justice.  
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters, all over this land."

Here are a few more:

1.  If I had a million dollars, I would do our farm up right, then use the rest to help those in need.
2.  If I had a new Jaguar, I would drive a lot more.
3.  If I had a dinner engagement at the White House, I would probably wear a dress i/o my jeans.
4.  If I had a chance to live my life again, I would do things exactly as I did before, so my family would be the same as they are right now.
5.  If I had a(n) extra hour in the day, I would use it to strengthen my walk with God.

How would YOU fill in those blanks?  C'mon back to the porch tomorrow, when we start talking about farm critters. ;)

2 comments:

  1. LuAnn, I love your #4. So many times I've heard people say how if they had a chance to live their lives again that they would change so many things. It is refreshing to find someone who would do things exactly the same BECAUSE you would want our family to be the same as they are right now. That is a tremendous testimony, my friend!

    If I had an opportunity to move I would relocate to a place half way between where my son and daughter lives so that we could share in more family time. ;-)

    I like your idea for a window herb garden! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Dianna. We live within walking distance of my father-in-law and his wife, but 950 or so miles from MIL and her husband in Texas. (Both my parents are deceased.) If I didn't like Kentucky so much, I'd want to live more equidistant.

    ReplyDelete