Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Teaser/First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesdays


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


(my copy of this book is in PDF format.  The teaser comes from page 5 of 163.)

The sun was setting, shrouding the construction area in shadows and making me shiver with apprehension. I didn’t believe the body found its way under that gravel pile by accident.

~~~oOo~~~


Every Tuesday, Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book she is reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?


Hansum had been watching his younger self for about an hour when Arimus said,

"See, my boy, it's not so hard, and after a while it doesn't seem so odd."

The elder from the 31st century was right.  When Hansum arrived in his own past and saw his ten-year-old self playing in the commons of his 24th century home village, he got the oddest sensation.  He felt queasy and dizzy.  But as Arimus predicted, those sensations were soon replaced with a growing sense of what had made Hansum the you adult he no was.

"Self-knowledge, my boy, self-knowledge," Arimus explained, "You will go back in time and discover the whys and wherefores that made your present therefores."

Do either or both of these look interesting?  Come back on Thursday, May 29th, 2014 for my reviews of both these books!

30 comments:

  1. The intro intrigues me. I would go on reading....

    I like the teaser too....

    Here is my intro post from Sufficient Ransom by Sylvia Sarno .

    And

    Here is my teaser post from Night Fish by Kristine Ong Muslim .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "Murder is Academic" will be worthwhile. The main character sounds a lot like me ... middle-aged and not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. :O)

      As the 3rd part of a trilogy, "The Loved and the Lost" requires a little more commitment, but it is well worth it!

      Delete
  2. Great teaser for the first book. The Loved and the Lost sounds interesting. Happy reading. Here is my TT http://cynthiastacey.com/2014/05/27/teaser-tuesday-may-27/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the porch, Cynthia! Thanks for your kind words. :O) I hadn't really 'done' time-travel oh, since Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, but thoroughly enjoyed Kaufman's Verona Trilogy.

      Delete
  3. Luann, I liked the intro and think this seems like it might be a good mystery, Thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having such a smashing link-up to join, Diane! :O)

      Delete
  4. Great teaser. The Loved and the Lost sound interesting too. Here is my TT http://cynthiastacey.com/2014/05/27/teaser-tuesday-may-27/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed Lesley Diehl's books, so I would keep reading that one. I am not sure about the second one.

    Here's mine: “YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN”


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley is a new-to-me author, but there is also an interview with her coming on Thursday, with the review of "Murder is Academic".

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure either of these are for me, but I LOVE the name of your blog! So creative and so true - great observations often come while sitting on the back porch!

    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-chasing-sun-natalia-sylvester/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! My back porch has decided you are welcome any time! (We'll even bring the sweet tea!) :O)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Don't you just love that word, 'intriguing'? It's even fun to say! Thanks for visiting, Kathy!

      Delete
  8. Hmm, maybe not quite my usual fare but I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if everybody liked the same books, libraries would be like WalMart on the day after Thanksgiving, right? :O)

      Thanks for visiting, JoAnn!

      Delete
  9. I'm "iffy" on the first but the second sounds like something I'd like. enjoy your books. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelley. The same to you with your mondo TTT list! ;)

      Delete
  10. Great teaser, bet it was not an accident.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Noto to sure on the time travelling one, the murder story sounds cosy I think, not too much blood and gore. Enjoy them both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Peggy, I'm a cozy mystery kind of gal. :O) The main characters are YA on the time-traveling novel, if that makes a difference one way or the other.

      Delete
  12. Murder is Academic sounds like a fun read. I couldn't help but notice how many words began with "s" in the first sentence. Don't ask me why I noticed that. LOL

    The Loved and the Lost sounds interesting too. I haven't heard of that one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, I didn't even notice that about Murder is Academic, LF! (And I'm an alliteration junkie!)

      The Loved and the Lost is the 3rd part of the Verona Trilogy. If you like YA or time travel, that book is for you!

      Delete
  13. I would definitely read more of the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised it was only 165 pages (on pdf), Freda. Most of the stuff I've been reading has been in the 350-400 pp range. But a change-up is good every once in a while! :O)

      Delete
  14. Love the sound of the first one...I read another book by this author and enjoyed it.

    Here's mine: “KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE”


    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sound of it! I gotta read this!

    Here is my intro post from Song for Sophia by Moriah Densley.

    AND

    Here is my teaser post from Extra Care by Alina Cosma .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bodies generally don't tend to find themselves anywhere, I think! 'The Loved and the Lost' sounds really interesting. I was a bit skeptical but then at the end of the Intro I was convinced! I hope you enjoy it :)
    My Intro
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very different books, but both very interesting. The Loved and the Lost probably more so, would like to know whats happening with this 'can see themselves as younger self'.
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete