Friday, February 26, 2016

Friday Bookish Post - February 26, 2016

    

Thanks to Freda from "Freda's Voice" and Gilion at "Rose City Reader" for hosting these bookish link-up!  Click one of the buttons to go to the link-up page.


Synopsis

Olivia Denis is a contented young wife with a carefree life in late 1930's London. Then her world is shattered with the violent death of her husband, Reggie. The police want to call it a suicide and close the case, but Olivia knows Reggie couldn't possibly have fired the fatal shot.

Further mysteries surface surrounding her husband's death. Did the trustworthy Foreign Office employee betray government secrets? Was his murder linked to the death of a German embassy clerk the same night? And who searched their flat?

Her desire for answers and her need to support herself cause her to break away from the pampered life she's known and take a job. But with the much-needed paycheck as a society reporter for a newspaper comes a secret secondary assignment - one that involves her in the increasingly dangerous world of European politics as the continent slides toward war.

~~~oOo~~~

Book Beginnings

What I saw was all wrong. 
I gasped as I looked down at Reggie's face and reached for him.  My hand jerked to a stop as reality hit me. 
Reggie wasn't sleeping on that cold metal table.

~~~oOo~~~

The Friday 56

(which is actually from page 55 this week)

"Why did he approach me?  And why was he hanging around my building when he watched this person that he wouldn't name break into my flat?" 
"I'd suspect the burglar was German." 
"I don't know any Germans." 
John shrugged and looked away.  "Reggie was in the Foreign Office...."

~~~oOo~~~


Book Blogger Hop   

Thanks to Billy B at the "Coffee Addicted Blogger" and Ramona at "Create With Joy" for hosting these link-ups!  Click on the buttons above to go to their blogs.

Book Blogger Hop

Do your children, siblings, or other family members enjoy reading as much as you do?

I don't think any of the family read quite as much as I do, but I know they enjoy reading.  Hubs especially likes science fiction, non-fiction and maybe westerns.  The boys (well, young men now, really) like gaming as well as history (especially military history).  My daughter will read a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. having to do with dinosaurs or clocks.

20 comments:

  1. I wonder what tipped him off to the German? That's so random! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloi, he was a military man himself, and it seems all of the 'diplomats' seemed to hang out at the same pub! ;)

      Delete
  2. Now how interesting.. your daughter reading anything with clocks. this makes me very curious to what she reads ;)
    Sportochick’s Musings Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly information from online, I believe. Teri. She's got quite the timepiece collection (40-50 clocks and watches). I even subscribed to a couple of clock aficionado groups on FB for her.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You and me both, Heather! This reminded me of some Masterpiece Theatre/BBC type productions.

      Delete
  4. Well, your beginning makes me want to read more! Thanks for visiting! And you should absolutely try some Dean Koontz =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that, Julie. (The author probably is, too!)

      Do you have any recommendations for a good first DK book to read?

      Delete
  5. Sounds quite intriguing. What was Reggie into that got him killed?!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend to you too, Freda!

      Reggie worked for the Foreign Office in credentialing and WWII was on the horizon. Passing of state secrets from one's own government to a potential rival...never a good idea. (It wasn't Reggie, though. He just found out who did.)

      Delete
  6. Very gripping and interesting beginning. The cover makes me think of another series, but I can't recall it right now. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Diane. The cover reminded me of the Tommy and Tuppence characters of Agatha Christie!

      Delete
  7. I was already sold when I saw the cover and the time period 1930s. Love books during that time. Now with a mystery involved I definitely need to add it to my TBR!
    Thanks for sharing and stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi LuAnn,
    I just love mysterious crime novels! My cousin and mom does love reading as much as I do - it is lovely to spent the afternoon reading, when visiting them on holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh how chilling. Great beginning and an intriguing teaser!

    Jessica @ Ramblings on Readings

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a scary-fun read, Jessica. Kind of like those old black & white mystery films from back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That beginning puts you right in the middle of the story!

    Thanks for sharing your post on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Based on these snippets, I'd like to know more! :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete